I am a freelance software engineer based in Japan with many years of experience building and maintaining web applications for the Japanese market. I believe in quality code and quality communication, and see the two as intimately related.
A Canadian originally from Montreal, I first came to Japan as a researcher and later discovered a love for programming. I have headed international teams in public organizations and private companies, tackling problems ranging from disseminating scientific discoveries to integrating legacy payment systems. The common thread linking these roles is the importance of clear communication to quality results.
I am available for fixed-term or recurring contract work. I am currently in Tokyo and may be available for initial on-site consulting, but generally I work remote. I can join a team, work independently, or collaborate across groups or between companies.
What I can do for you
Some of the areas I can offer value to teams and companies:
- Application design and architecture
- Legacy code analysis, rewrite and rescue
- Product design, strategy and prototyping
- Code reviews
- Team communication and mentoring
- System integration, e.g. via APIs
- Evangelizing products and services, particularly to a developer audience
- Promotional or technical writing, content creation for a technical audience
In addition to the above, as a fluent Japanese speaker with technical expertise, I offer a unique set of skills for companies integrating with Japanese systems or collaborating with Japanese stakeholders. If this sounds like you, please reach out and let’s talk.
- Ruby on Rails internals (especially ActiveModel/ActiveRecord)
- Payment integration
- E-commerce and logistics
- Internationalization and localization, translation management
Please feel free to contact me with any questions or to discuss details.